Another great recipe to use with the Pita Bread recipe from a few days ago are kofta kabobs with tzatziki sauce. Most recipes for the kabobs I have seen and my original recipe were made with lamb. Because we cannot find lamb very easily here I have modified my original recipe to use part ground pork and part ground beef. It worked well and tastes great.
- 2/3 pounds ground pork (needs a good bit of fat)
- 1 1/3 pounds of ground beef
- 4 stems of parsley or cilantro *
- 1 small onion, finely chopped *
- 3 cloves garlic, roasted, peeled and chopped *
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- Small pinch of clove
- Small bunch of mint leaves, very finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- dash of chili flakes to taste
*Note: if you are grinding your own pork and beef add the onion, garlic and cilantro to the grinder, it just makes it so much faster and then it will be blended completely into the meats.
Roast the cumin, coriander and clove in a frying pan until they release their aroma, about 1 minute. Cool slightly and grind to a fine powder in a mortar and pestle or coffee grinder. Add all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl mixing well and refrigerate until ready to cook.
Shape the meat into a 6 inch tube shape like a sausage. Gently cook for 3 minutes on a side, the meat will flatten out a bit but continue to cook until all sides have taken on a nice brown color and are a bit crispy.
- 1 medium cucumber peeled, seeded and grated – then squeeze out excess liquid
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup thick yogurt or Kefir
- 2 cloves garlic, grated fine
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- for garnish, chopped dill or cilantro and a dash of cayenne pepper
Mix all ingredients together and sprinkle with garnish and refrigerate until ready to use.
Make your pita bread (or use rolls) and place one kabob in the center of the pita and liberally cover with tzatziki sauce. You can also use hummus or hummus and tzatziki together for yet another taste sensation… Beyond Yummy!!!!