Gonzalo started to bring corn already shucked and ready to eat. Five large ears for $1 a bargain especially as I do not have to clean it. So I decided to make us a nice hardy soup.
Corn and Potato Soup
- 5 medium to large ears of corn cut from the cob
- 1 large red onion coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic coarsely chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped fine
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
Sauté onions, garlic and celery for a few minutes to get soft in the olive oil. Add corn and sauté for a few minutes more.
- 1 bullion cube vegetable or chicken
- 2 cups of water
- You can use homemade chicken or veggie broth in place of the above two ingredients
- 6 allspice berries crushed to a powder
Add water and bullion cube or homemade broth along with the allspice powder. Simmer for 15 minutes and test corn for tenderness.
- 3 small potatoes cut into small cubes, no need to peel
Add cut up potatoes and bring back to a simmer for an extra 10 minutes, test potatoes.
- 1 cup milk or cream
- Pepper to taste
Add milk or cream and pepper. Gently simmer for another 10 minutes. Taste for salt and add if needed.
- 1 spring onion sliced thinly as garnish
Filling and yummy.